Monday, August 29, 2005

Work history

Here is an interesting list to create:

Make a list of all the jobs you have ever had, the age you were when you had them and what you learned from each job. Start with your very first job and move forward to your current job. Now write about the lessons/values/truths you have learned about work.

Here's a partial list of mine:

Five & Dime store, age 14--worked the popcorn machine during the Christmas holdiays. Learned to be very, very careful around hot oil and to fight the urge to lick salty, greasy fingers between filling bags of freshly popped corn.

Babysitting, age 15-16--The dean of the music department and his wife often went to Houston for late night partying, and I babysat their four children. The oldest kid, Will Lee, is the bass player for the David Letterman Late Night Show. Yes, I feel old.

Reporter & Proofreader for weekly small town paper, age 20--the editor was a character, just like the Editor-in-Chief Perry White in the Superman black & white television series--steely, professional, hard-nosed and demanding. I learned never to miss a deadline.

High school journalism teacher, age 21-23--taught sophomores, juniors and seniors how to produce an award-winning newspaper. I learned that high school principals in Texas schools are usually former football coaches and have no tolerance for journalism teachers. I was fired at the end of my second year, despite statewide recognition for the newspaper and many individual student awards for reporting excellence.

Community college instructor, age 23-29--hired to develop journalism program for small community college in a "company town" (the company being EXXON). I loved this job, and I was really proud of the work I did. Students won lots of awards and many transferred to universities with great portfolios.

etc.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cisco said...

I dont want to run down that road... So many jobs! lol

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home