Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Food for Thought

Better Homes and Garden is having a Recipe "Makeover" Contest. Turn your favorite family recipe into a more healthy one and you might win Schwinn bicycles for your entire family. I remember the last Schwinn bike I owned. I got it for my twelfth Christmas... blue and white with big tires that logged many, many miles up and down the hills of Huntsville, Texas.

While you're looking through your recipe files, you might also think seriously about creating a family cookbook. Gather together those old family photos of everyone sitting around the table at Thanksgiving, or celebrating the Fourth of July in the backyard, or clam digging on the beach... you get the idea.

Telling the stories behind the recipes makes them all the more treasured. Are there stories that have been handed down with the recipes? How about a story about the cook? For example, my Aunt Jean had five hardy kids and a hard-working husband to cook for, back in the late '50s. She learned to make all kinds of delicious casseroles--the smart way to stretch a dollar in those days. We nicknamed her "Aunt Casserole" because we never had to second guess what was on the menu when we visited her kitchen. A photo of her as a young housewife in the kitchen is a natural illustration of the Casseroles section in our family's cookbook.

If you're interested in creating a custom calendar, visit http://www.bhg.com/foodandfamily. The site has an interactive 15-month calendar that features a healthy recipe each month. You can personalize the pages with your own family pictures and then e-mail the calendar to friends and family.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to log on to the site as well, but I'm going to enter the recipe contest and makeover one of Aunt Jean's casseroles into a more healthy one. The contest ends November 15, so I guess I have some time to de-calorize and increase the nutritional value by substituting fresh veggies for any high-sodium canned one. The grand prize is 5 Schwinn bikes, which I'm sure her five kids will thumb wrestle me for... assuming I win, that is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cisco said...

Hey. Are you really entering? If so, pass those recipes along. :)

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home